Oh, so you want to know about mentoring, dear reader? Well, here's KAK's 5 Quick Mentoring Hits:
- Have I ever "officially" mentored an author at any stage of their career?
- Nope. Not because I'm a dick (opinions may vary on that). Mostly, it's because there are moments when we (authors) need advice but it's not a sustained state of apprenticeship. Also, the needs fluctuate from 0 to 60 to -12. I may be the experienced one in April, but by August the mentee probably is the new expert. Roles flip. It's a good thing. It encourages continuous education.
- Am I available to answer questions or offer advice?
- Sure. All advice comes with the standard disclaimer of "YMMV." While I'm happy to answer questions, don't expect me to do the work for you. Yes, I have strong opinions about certain topics and fluid thoughts on others. Yes, I can be and have been wrong. Yes, I am big enough to admit when that happens.
- Do I consider myself an expert on any one aspect of authoring?
- Oh hell no. I'm passably good at some things and a bit of a penny-in-the-socket on others.
- Ever considered sharing what you've learned in your decade+ of playing in the publishing arena?
- That's the biggest reason this blog exists. Authors at various stages of their careers can read our seven different perspectives on topics ranging from writing compelling sidekicks with fetishes to negotiating for yourself in an industry focused on their bottom line. From pre-published to self-published to hybrid published to traditionally published, this blog comes at the issues from all avenues and across the spec-fic and romance genres.
- Would you ever want someone to mentor you?
- Who wouldn't want a resource who's been there, done that, and done it with better success? Then again, as Jeffe mentioned on Sunday, a lot of that kind of mentorship comes from friendships with other authors. I value my friendships, heck, it increases the odds I'll listen to their advice. 👼
I'll just keep nodding along over here ;)ReplyDelete
...thus began the drumbeat. 😁Delete
Who could say no to that :)ReplyDelete