This week at the SFF Seven, we're asking about book-related income that is specifically not from book sales.
There was an asterisk to that, specifying that the question was in relation to the Authors Guild 2023 Income Survey, which I didn't read. (I have Opinions about that survey, which I won't go into.) But I assume the question comes from the survey dividing author income into book-related and not, and the person asking is wondering what the "not" might be. It's a good question because I'm a firm believer that long-term success in this fickle business relies on diversifying income streams.
I actually have a line on my income spreadsheets that says "Other Writing Income," as opposed to the "Book Sales" line. What kind of income is that?
- My Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/JeffesCloset. This is how I offer mentoring and coaching to other writers. Plus, it's a great little community that's truly supportive and positive in a non-toxic way.
- Other kinds of coaching. I also offer various kinds of one-on-one mentoring and coaching.
- Workshops, presentations, and master classes. I love giving talks and I especially love it when they pay me!
- Articles and similar nonfiction writing. Love getting paid for those, too!
- YouTube. I have a podcast, First Cup of Coffee with Jeffe Kennedy, with enough subscribers that I earn income from the views.