Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Book Boyfriend of the Moment: The Crimson Rain Sought Flower

 This Week's Topic: Who is my favorite fictional hero (that's not one I wrote) and why?

Oh no. This is akin to being asked which book is my favorite. Yarghhh! Fortunately, this isn't Highlander and The Kurgan isn't decapitating all the dudes who aren't mentioned. 

{taps bottom lip} 

This is tough because all my faves exist as an amalgam in my memory as Sir Supportive 'n' Studly whose best attributes get mashed together, reshaped, and then plucked apart like monkey bread to become BFFs or Romantic Interests in my books. 

{looks to the left, ponders more}

Since I have to pick one, I'll go with my favorite character from the series I'm currently reading: Hua Cheng from Heaven Offical's Blessing by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (aka MXTX). Over the course of the series, he becomes the protagonist's significant other, yet to simplify his character like that does him a great disservice. He is fully competent and capable independent of the protagonist. To everyone but the protagonist, he is The Great Villain, a supreme ghost king, one of the four great calamities, the bane of the heavens...and so much more. Yet as the series develops and backstory is revealed, the Villain's Journey is more heartbreaking and more satisfying than the Hero's Journey (which is a feat, because the hero's story is cute on the surface but gutwrenching underneath). 

There are so many attributes that make Hua Cheng a great character: from the myriad ways he serves humble pie, to his obvious and hidden motivations, to his tearjerking sacrifices. His weaknesses are relatable which makes him more adorable: whether it's his atrocious handwriting or his grossly skewed self-perception due to childhood tormentors (he had heterochromia, so he dug out one eye to stop the bullying, but now he believes himself hideous and unworthy of the protag). What makes him my favorite fictional hero is how he demonstrates his devotion to his love interest without being an alphahole. Though he and the protagonist have a long, complicated, and mysterious history, the protag doesn't remember it, but Hua Cheng does. Thus, in the first book, Hua Cheng casually reenters the protag's life, content to be a useful stranger the protag met on the road. Over and over, he touches the protag's life like a butterfly, providing outcome-altering support, and then departing (causing the protag to do rounds of introspection and confront feeeeeeelings). Of course, whenever Hua Cheng reenters the story, I cackle with glee because circumstances are going to get SUPER fun. Whether someone's about to get their ass handed to them or the charming banter in the primary ship, if Hua Cheng is on the page, I'm not putting down the book.  The more I read about him, the more I love the character MXTX created. So, yep, there ya go, my current book boyfriend, Hua Cheng, The Crimson Rain Sought Flower. 


1 comment:

  1. Oooo, I've gotta check this series out!

    ReplyDelete