Thursday, September 14, 2023

First Writing Projects

Alexia, wearing a blue scarf, long grey sweater, and black leggings, stands beside her black and white Siberian husky on a dry leaf scattered riverbank


I don’t think I’ve written enough. I’m pretty sure that’s where I’m landing on our topic of the week which is what’s the most unpublishable niche story we’ve ever written. 


My near-future sci-fi thrillers don’t stray into the weird sci-fi area, mostly a lot of neat tech with a medical related plot. And  I’ve also written some Norse inspired fantasy, right now it’s a trilogy, and there are some excellent comp titles out for those. Which leads me way back to the first book I wrote. Historical fantasy. That’s about as niche as I’m going to get.


When I started writing my first novel I wasn’t thinking about genres or what would sell. I was just telling a story what I thought was fun. And that  book for fun garnered a finalist badge in Romance Writers of America®’s national Golden Heart® Contest. Whenever I go back and read it I laugh at how young I sound. But the story holds up. 


Historical fantasy isn’t the it genre right now. But what sells never is, right? That’s why we need to keep writing whatever we enjoy. Because the truth is, you never know what will be a for-sure sale. And even if it never sees the light of day, all those words will make your next attempt better. So after all is said and done, make sure you’re writing what makes you happy. 


How about you? What was your first writing project? Does it make you laugh or cringe?

No comments:

Post a Comment