Monday, May 7, 2018

Genrefication

The subject this week is whatever is on our minds, so here we are.

genres annoy me.

I think they are useful in small doses and deeply annoying when pushed too far. Listen, my website is called genrefied because damned near everything IS genrefied.

What do you write, Jim?

Well, I write horror. Except when I'm writing crime-horror fusion, which is, of course when I'm not writing a media tie-in that is likely to be horror and science fiction mixed well. Oh, but I also write fantasy, except when I'm writing sword and sorcery fantasy, which is when I'm not writing Grimdark fantasy.
Only now and then I like to do something new, so I'm working on apocalyptic sci-fi novel, which should not be confused with my hard sci-fi novel, and definitely has no tis to my weird western.

I know it SOUNDS like Im kidding, but I'm not.

Thing is, I'm not a one trick pony. I like having a lot of different genres mixed and blended into whatever I'm working on. I recommend writing whatever you like and letting agents and editors work out where it best fits.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish the outlines for the fantasy thing, while writing the actual first four or so chapters of the sci-fi thing.


Keep smiling

Jim