Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Don't be distracted by the shiny! It isn't story.

Regarding ideas and where to get 'em... Did you read KAK's post yesterday? What she said. I'll just add a tiny bit to it.

I get ideas from science news feeds and web sites, the brain-crunchy books of pop-science geniuses like Michio Kaku and Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk's Twitter feed (which is crazysauce, have you seen that thing?!), re-watches of TV shows that stoke my fangirl imagination (Farscape, Firefly, X-Files, Battlestar Galactica, Deep Space Nine, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Fringe, etc.), documentaries, vacation photos and journals, those people in the Starbucks who look tense and clearly have some drama going on, and, when all else fails, the disco black hole of YouTube.

The problem with ideas is that they aren't a story. Yeah, I know there's such a thing as an "idea story" ("What if we were all living in the dream of some dude name Jack?"), but the format has never worked for me. Maybe my ideas just aren't juicy enough to drive a whole story, I dunno.

For me, ideas are gems, scattered out on the bedspread. I pick up a science article here, a TV character's gesture there, and a dead language there, and I slip all those jewels into a velvet bag, give it a little shake, and start drawing them out, hopefully in an arrangement that appropiately bedazzles my story.

And I mean story in the Lisa Cron sense: "A story is about what the protagonist has to learn, to overcome, to deal with internally in order to solve the problem that the external plot poses."

So, as sparkly and beautiful as all those ideas are, honestly, they're just vehicles for telling a story. They aren't the story themselves.

Which is good news, right? I mean, you can get ideas from anywhere, and they don't even need to be good ideas. The trick is use all those shiny idea gems to to tell a story that means something to you.

5 comments:

  1. I like that, 'they don't even need to be good ideas'. But pick out the ones that sparkle and use them. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been caught in that "must come up with a high concept" web, and it's crazy-making. Then I read Lisa Cron and went to an April Kihlstrom Book in a Week class, and eureka! Writing a good book has very little to do with the seedling idea. Sometimes the seedling idea doesn't even make it to the final version. The story is about the lesson or theme or *reason* that you were compelled to tell it. (Which might be why I write so slow. lol)

      Delete
    2. Yes! That core story that makes it yours.
      Pssh, slow writers are the best ;)

      Delete
  2. KAK is here for the dreams of Jack...Jack Daniels.

    I love that Cron quote and the velvet bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all living within the dreamspace of Jack Daniels. This could be a hilarious story. :)

      Delete