Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Robot Kissing: The Musical? Nah

So this week we are imagining a book of ours... as a musical. And while I think this musicalization thing worked out really well for Buffy, I can't see my stories on stage at all. I think that's because I'm not a super visual person, and when I'm writing I try to focus more on the other senses, whereas theater is principally visual? Or because I did too much musical theater in high school and am still scarred by Li'l Abner?

Anyhow, when I was writing Wanted & Wired, I did have a playlist, so maybe that counts. It was a lot of of AC/DC (all of Back in Black, which is one of two albums I consider the best ever, fight me), The Killers, and Prince (because Prince works as mood music for everything). Some Foo Fighters, Bikini Kill, and other random stuff. I added The Eagles' "Desperado" for Perfect Gravity -- because, hello cowboy -- and Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album for More Than Stardust (shocking, I know). Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" is my personal theme song, so it comes up from time to time, too.

So I guess you could score my books like that? Dunno. I still don't "see" it.

Right now I'm writing to the persistent and violent lullaby of my kids' multitude of remote-learning videos. I can tell you one thing: that stuff? Not inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment