Tuesday, June 20, 2017

How long between novels?

Hi thee. I'm a day late, for which I apologize. I found myself in a situation without real access to a computer and there was no way in heck I was gonna do any length article on my phone.

How long is the right length between novels? I don't know. My usual waiting time is about a week. During that week I'm likely to write a few short stories. Why? because, as I have said before, I am fond of having a roof over my head. I work steadily at my career as a writer, I don't really have many days off and if I do somehow manage days off, I tend to feel guilty about it.

I was raised by a woman who worked 60 hour weeks to keep her kids fed (Deadbeat dads, folks, you gotta love 'em.), and she instilled within me and MOST of my siblings a very strong work ethic. There are a couple of exceptions. No names, no finger pointing, it just is what it is.

To that end, I work a full time job, I write full time and I do some teaching on the side. If I didn't, I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself.

There's another reason this happens, by the way. I still have trouble saying "no," when a publisher asks for something. Seriously, best way in the world to get work when you're starting out is to say yes to anything that isn't insane. I never said yes to a free novel. I insisted on getting paid, but still, I said yes to a lot of offers early on and I still have trouble resisting the affirmative when I'm asked for any length tale.

It's the nature of the beast. I'm a storyteller, not a literary writer. I write fast and to entertain. I also write a LOT on the average. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but who among us is?

it's a book birthday for me, Christopher Golden, Charlaine harris, Kelley Armstrong, Mark Morris, Tim Lebbon, Kat Richardson, Seanan McGuire, Cherie Priest, Jonathan Maberry and Kelley Armstrong.  Our book INDIGO came out today.



Keep smiling,.

James A. Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment