Sunday, November 29, 2020

Jeffe's Top Five Christmas-Adjacent Movies


Our topic at the SFF Seven this week is our favorite Christmas-adjacent (or other holiday-adjacent) movies. Now, I'm a Christmas-loving gal, so if you don't celebrate or don't care, feel free to skip. This will not be on the final.

All right! Now, if you are like me and love to add Christmas movies to the general celebrating, but maybe get tired of the movies that focus SOLELY on Christmas - not that there's anything wrong with those! - then you might like some of these Christmas-adjacent movies. They're not Christmas movies in any real sense, but they include Christmas in awesome ways.

Also, I suggested this topic because I'm always looking for more Christmas-adjacent movies. (NOT Die Hard, people.) So, I'm looking forward to what my bordello-mates suggest - and please tell me yours!

In reverse order, my Top Five Christmas-adjacent movies.

#5    Mean Girls

What? I *told* you these aren't actual Christmas movies! Mean Girls is almost an honorable mention, but I have to include it because of the classic sexy-Santa-in-red-latex dance. Also, this is a brilliant movie that deserves a rewatch anyway.

#4    You've Got Mail

The Christmas scenes in this movie capture all the wonderful nostalgia of the season. The original movie, The Shop Around the Corner, had a stronger Christmas focus and is totally worth watching, too.

#3    Iron Man 3

Tony shopping for a gift for Pepper? Trying out a new suit to the tune of Jingle Bells? Yes, please! Also the Christmas setting provides glittering contrast to the story. 

#2    The Long Kiss Goodnight

Seems like not many people saw - or appreciated - this one, but I love Geena Davis as a kickass spy who goes from sweet, amnesiac wife and mom to lethal superagent. All at Christmas time. Plus Samuel L. Jackson. More ironic Christmas cheer for the win!

#1    Bed of Roses

Sometimes I feel like the only person who saw and LOVED this movie. I saw it in the theater twice, and have had it on VHS since then. It's one of my favorite romances, and the juxtaposition of the emotional pressure of Christmas and family make the love affair even more poignant. Plus, contains the line from Pamela (Segall) Adlon, "I'm a Jewish Elf." 


Now, hit me with suggestions! What Christmas-adjacent movies should I be watching???


15 comments:

  1. Oh, I love The Long Kiss Goodnight! I haven't seen it recently, though. I wonder if it holds up to my memories of it. {wanders off to stream it from somewhere}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it again recently and, aside from a bit of OTT cheesiness, it held up for me!

      Delete
  2. The Holiday is a great funny movie for the holidays. Jack Black is so funny in video store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one, too! But I consider it more solidly a Christmas/Holiday movie, rather than adjacent

      Delete
  3. Me three!!! I LOVED The Long Kiss Goodnight.....‘I’m a chef!’ Not 😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo is AMAZING! Love it (and good list of movies too)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's funny how you don't see Isabel at first - and then she's all SPOOKY CHRISTMAS CAT

      Delete
  5. Love Actually (although that might be a Christmas movie.
    Reindeer Games (although it might fall to close to your Die Hard clause (which is a Christmas movie to me))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would count Love Actually as a legit Christmas Movie(TM). I don't know that I've seen Reindeer Games!

      Delete
  6. Color me Team Long Kiss Goodnight, as well. Also, we keep our machine which plays VHS tapes right next to our old receiver which can play 8-track tapes. Pretty sure they both work, still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But where is the cassette tape player?? I totally think that movie should've gotten more play - although it sounds like everyone here loves it!

      Delete
    2. We have a boom box which can still play cassettes. Also, it's a boom box.

      Delete
    3. ~stands beneath window, holding boombox aloft and gazing up soulfully~

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete