Sunday, October 17, 2021

Hmm...F*CK

This week's topic here at the SFF Seven is 'Should censorship be a four-letter word?' My response when I read that was very much a Geralt of Rivia moment--Hmm, F*CK.

I'll be honest. I'm not sure what this topic even means. I think it means--Should censorship be something we don't say or talk about? But I like four-letter words, so my entire understanding of this question is probably different from what it should be. Also, this subject can get really expansive, so I'll be brief.

What I'll say is this: Censorship means different things to different people, usually based on their politics and sometimes (often) religion. Someone might fight the school board to remove a book with gay characters from the school library. This is an attempt to censor what people read based on personal beliefs. It is not a danger to expose and educate kids on diversity and tough topics--people and parts of the world they live in. It can build empathy and understanding--these are good things. If parents think it's harmful, they can discuss that with their children. What IS dangerous is promoting hate speech or books that promote hate against marginalized communities. 

It really isn't hard. If So and So Author wants to publish a book that promotes neo-Nazi activity, it shouldn't be a surprise if this is prevented or the book rejected or removed from libraries or schools. Decisions should be based on certain professional judgments and standards, not government or religious beliefs and not even on personal taste or because someone doesn't like the ideas presented. 

Also...people. Not educating your kids about the real world around them is doing them a tremendous disservice. 

NOW TO A HAPPIER TOPIC!

I'm announcing a couple of cool things this week on Instagram, so if you don't follow me, come say hi! 

One cool thing that I'll post here is that I received an author blurb from the AMAZING Juliet Marillier, who I admire so much. I was so nervous the entire time she was reading my book ;) But I think it turned out okay!

"If you like your fantasy with complex magic, an intriguing protagonist, a powerful romance, and a great cast of supporting characters, I highly recommend The Witch Collector. Charissa Weaks's high-stakes storytelling will leave you waiting eagerly for the next installment." — Juliet Marillier, award-winning author of the Warrior Bards series



If you'd like to pre-order the ebook or purchase the paperback, check here for links. BUT, that cool news? It might be about another reading option, so check out my Insta tomorrow!



I hope you all have a fabulous week!




2 comments: