Thursday, October 28, 2021

Scene from The Mars Strain - Happy Halloween!

Dark, hazy background with red smoke swirling through the center behind the audiobook cover for The Mars Strain banded in Recorded books red and an image of Mars in the background. A quote in white typing is below the audiobook cover: We've colonized Mars...but we never should've come back.

 This week we’re promoting our scariest book or scene…and, well. I’m a wuss when it comes to scary. I don’t write horror, though some creepy does sneak into my writing. 

So here’s a snippet from The Mars Strain to help you get your Halloween creep on! Enjoy!


Setup:

 Juliet’s in isolation due to a supposed contact 

with the first strain victim—and she’s been watching the clock.



The Mars Strain - Chapter 18

                                                                                                    


My palms and fingertips touch the cold glass and rings of foggy moisture surrounds each contact point. 


There isn’t anyone in the room between mine and the pod with the girl who’s writhing on the bed. She tosses and turns. Her silky black hair sticks to her face and her sheet covered arms and legs strike out again and again. 


Hazmat suits surround her and block her from view. The staff frantically press sensors to her skin, trying to get a vitascan, and two nurses administer injections. 


The man in the pod on the other side of her room has mirrored my stance. My gaze darts between hazmat helmets to him. His eyes bulge and he takes a step back. He holds up a hand to ward off the sight of what’s happening to the other patient and crosses himself. 


The girl lurches up off the bed, breaking through the hazmat suits.


A scream sticks in my throat.


The nurses grab her arms to keep her from landing on the floor. The girl’s knees buckle, her feet are solid purple, like they’ve been bruised. She holds up her petite hands, her fingers are shaking, and they’re bruised just like her feet. The purple of her fingers fades to a dark blue that has crept up her hands and I can see the lines of her veins on her forearms because they’re a dark, angry red. 


Not even her face has been spared. The tip of her nose is dark, and red thorny branches cover her cheeks.

 

She screams. 


Not a scream I can hear through the walls, but a scream I can see and feel. Her neck strains, her mouth is open wide and horror fills her eyes. Every part of her is screaming. My hair stands on end and a prickle chills the skin between my shoulder blades. 


I stumble away from the wall and wipe my hands on my pants. I can’t look away. I can’t look at anything else. All I can look at is the girl who’s stopped screaming, the girl who’s stopped moving, the girl who’s now a lifeless pile on the floor. 


Time of death: 02:59 AM. 

2 comments: