Thursday, December 8, 2022

Social Media?


Alexia Chantel's Instagram account with images of her with books and outdoors


I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a fellow author groan about one social media platform or another. I’ve complained plenty myself and I’m sure you have too! But in the end we all pretty much have our favorites in regards to where we spend our time, and that’s what we’re talking about this week.


So, where do I hang out online? As Jeffe said yesterday, it’s evolved and will likely change if you ask me again next year. I left Twitter a few years ago, I didn’t enjoy all the negativity. Facebook is one that I’ve never been very good at checking. Which leaves me with my Instagram. 


Instagram was built for me. I love taking pictures and coming up with cute phrases to go with them. I found happy people who were good at building each other up. I found book recommendations and shared books with others! And then Instagram veered into video posts…and I lost interest. 


I haven’t gotten used to seeing and listening to myself on video. I much prefer to be behind the camera and capture what I find beautiful. But there’s pressure to make short clips since sill life images weren’t getting seen. And I let it get to me. 


Basically what I’m saying is Instagram is my social of choice, but I’m an infrequent poster. What about that author advice everyone parrots about platform and interactions? I decided I’m not going to let it get to me and I’m not going to stress over it. 


I’m writing. 


I’m not stressing over what, how, or when to post on socials. I’m going to write. I don’t have online fans demanding anything of me and so I’ll take that as a positive right now and I’ll write. And I’ll keep writing until I figure out what I’m going to do with all of these words. 


If you’re struggling to keep up on the socials, know that it’s okay to step away for a time or even leave the platform completely if it’s not enjoyable and especially if it’s detracting from your writing. It’s okay to just be an author instead of a social-media guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment