Saturday, August 5, 2017

Like 'Aliens' with More Romance and Less Gore


The title of my post says it all for me. This is what I tell people when they ask me what I write.

I have two tropes or overriding recurring themes and have ever since I started writing at the age of 7.

1. True love with a Happy Ever After ending.
2. Science fiction. A strong man and a strong woman battling the usually life or death odds and surviving together. See Rule #1.

My first ever story featured a strong willed princess (with flying cats and flying horses) and a riverboat captain. Alas I can't recall what they were battling, although I strongly suspect something like the Id Monster from "Forbidden Planet" because that movie was imprinted on my brain at an early age. (On late night TV, folks.)

"Ever After" is my favorite version of the Cinderella fairy tale.

Every single one of my books revolves around a strong hero and heroine in  a tight situation, who grow to respect each other and then fall in love and have an HEA after the last alien is vanquished (or in the case of my ancient Egyptian novels, the last demon falls.)

Including my newest scifi romance, TWO AGAINST THE STARS.

It's what I want to read. it's what I want to watch on TV or at the movies...I had basically that situation in my real life for many years, until my husband was killed in an accident...well, not the aliens or the demons, but true love from high school onward, and us getting through all the life challenges together.  A team.

So, there you have it.


2 comments:

  1. I love Ever After, too, but have you seen the new(ish) live-action Disney Cinderella? LOVED

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, visually beautiful...the Fairy Godmother was cool...but "Ever After" remains my favorite!

    ReplyDelete