Thursday, February 24, 2022

Why this Sci-Fi Thriller WIP?


cyberpunk filter of grainy pink of a brick alley with a large, round, copper sign at the end of it


I’m channeling a sci-fi vibe today because our topic this week is: 

Why this WIP?


WIP is work in progress. Yep, you got it. the work in progress I’m talking about today is my next sci-fi thriller! 


Why this one and not one of my fantasy ones? How do you pick what to work on when you have multiple projects (and no contracted or set timeline for any of them)? Why do you have more than one novel in the works? 


Sci-fi thrillers are pretty much what the label entails: science and a lot of action that makes your heart pound and your palms sweat. With my medical background I can’t help but find that bleeding through, one of my MCs works as a biohacker.


Biohacker, according to healthline, describes it as do-it-yourself-biology. Basically anything people do to alter their health and wellbeing. But…sci-fi here, so my biohacker provides his clients with biologic altering drugs. And after years of altering themselves people are becoming more AI than human.


It’s a bit creepy and exciting with a nice dose of humor provided by the found family and friction, both good and bad, between the MCs. Basically, it’s hella fun to write.


There are days I’m tempted to crack open my recent fantasy WIP. I am a mood reader, after all, and I write with my moods as well so I like to keep at least three WIPs on my laptop. But writing sci-fi uses more of my left side brain and I can geek out and imagine what our future could look like. When I write fantasy it’s right brained all the way—the tear your heart out, leave you emotionally exhausted kind of writing. 


So yeah, I’ll stick to my sci-fi thriller for now. How about you? What’s got your passion going at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment