Monday, October 1, 2018

WELL, DON'T LET ME STOP YOU....

You want to write a novel?

Whats stopping you?

It isn't me.

Even if I wanted to stop you, I wouldn't. I kind of get a kick out of reading, you see. Heck, some of my best friends re writers. actually Most of my friends are writers. There are exception of course, but not as many as you might think.

Listen, it's just this simple. if you want it, DO IT.

Here's a line I've used many, many times: You want to be a writer? Sit your butt in the chair and start writing. You might think that's too much effort, but if it is, you don;t want to be a writer.

Here's my standard justification for that comment: I spent 12 years going to seventeen different schools in five different States. MOST of those schools were in the first eight years of schooling, and I promise you I did remarkably little studying. I was far to busy having nervous breakdowns and avoiding getting my butt handed to me. See, I was the short, fat, nerdy new kid with glasses and there's always a bully/jackass who is looking for fresh meat to terrorize.

So when it came to deciding to be a writer, I had to teach myself grammar. I had a bit f help, but not as much as I could have used.

Since then I've written over 45 novels, and probably a good 100 short stories, plus roleplaying game supplements that equal at least another 30 novels in total word count, oh, and a handful of comics. So what the hell is stopping YOU? I can do it, you can do it. You just have to want it bad enough to sit your butt in the chair and start writing.

Listen, a thousand words a day and you've got the first draft of a novel in three months. Give up an hour of TV, Stay off social media for an your. You got this if you want it.

Because again, I'm not going to stop you.  Your biggest obstacle is you and the excuses you find for not doing the work.

One hour a day.

Do it.

2 comments:

  1. It's that voice! I know that voice! Yes, it's the one that has gotten my butt back in the chair when I thought I'd take a long break or quit. Thanks for being that voice of reason, Jim.

    ReplyDelete