Friday, August 20, 2021

Writing: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

 Ah, the idealism of the new author. Everything is so shiny. All possibility lays before whatever debut book is about to hit the world. That pivotal moment is the very best part of writing. Anything could happen. Then the book is published and an author's fortunes fall as they may. This is my list of the best and worst part about the journey.

The Good

  • Finishing a book. There's nothing like that feeling. Nothing. I love solving story problems to the point that I wrap a story. 
  • Editing. Fixing what I've written plays to my strengths - which, in case you're wondering - are overthinking and paralysis by analysis.
  • Readers. 

The Bad

  • First drafts. OMG, y'all. I so want this to come easier, but see the above line about overthinking. Now you can add in second guessing and not trusting myself.
  • Finding/creating the time and space I need to do the deep work I need to do in order to write. Turns out moving your parents in with you during a pandemic isn't conducive to silence and contemplation.
  • Isolation. The pandemic nonsense has zapped a bunch of us who need to come together once in awhile in some kind of evil master mind convention and trade energy.
  • Daily chronic migraine. SO gets in the way. We're working on it. I swear.

The Ugly

  • Me. Drafting. Again. Drafting is my own Sisyphean task. WANT TO FIX. Help me fix me!
  • Having someone you need to be able to trust abuse that trust by withholding vital communication. This is a thing. Remember you own your own business. Don't be afraid to fire people. Somedays it's necessary. But it's definitely bad.
  • My marketing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment