Sunday, September 10, 2017

Three Tips for the Introverted Fan

Today at the lake I kept my seltzer cold in my Bacchus Bag from St. Martin. Counting my blessings and thinking good thoughts for everyone in the path of the storms.

Our topic this week at the SFF Seven is The Introverted Fan: Three things a fan could say in person or via social media that would help break the ice.

Because, of course, we've all been there. I know I have. Meeting the author of that book that transported me, trying to convey my excitement and all the love I've built up over time to them in one big gush. It inevitably comes out as something like:

Hi!I'mJeffeKennedyandI'vebeenreaddingyourbooksforeverandIloveyousomuchandI'mjustsoexcitedtomeetyouomgomgomg

And they, just as inevitably, look like the deer in the headlights of the onrushing Psycho Fan Train.

It's simply a weird conversation to try to have. And I've seen it from the other side now, too. Readers come up to my signing table, blurt out that they love my books, I say thank you, we stare at each other for a moment, and they dash away, muttering something about not bothering me anymore. There's a social media equivalent, though almost always less awkward.

I don't know about breaking the ice, but here's three things I love to hear.

1. Specifics

I love to hear which book is your favorite, which character you love best, and why. Feel free to go into detail. Getting to hear what exactly worked for you is super fun and hugely helpful, too.

2. Gushing Is Great

Never apologize for gushing! It's so wonderful to hear the good stuff that makes people happy. I could listen to it all day. That kind of thing is never a bother.

3. Ask Questions

I love questions! Especially about the books. Please ask those things you wonder while you're reading. If you're afraid you'll forget in the excitement, write them down. That's high praise, that you cared enough to do that.

What else works for all of you - what's the best way to talk to a favorite author?

5 comments:

  1. I've learned to say, "I'm a big fan," or "I love your work." You can say, "I love [author] all day long to your reading friends and fellow fans, but it feels a little weird to say "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!" to an author. I would imagine it feels a little weird to be on the receiving end, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point! I try to be careful, myself, of distinguishing ME from my books - same thing. :-)

      Delete
  2. You know I fan-girled all over Neil Gaiman. He must have thought I was a complete loon.
    I managed to have normal conversations with all other authors I met and I can tell that telling them which books you loved most and why, certainly is a good tactic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus it's super fun for the author :D

      And Neil Gaiman.... well, OF COURSE!

      Delete
    2. He's gotta be used to it, I would think. Because OMG Neil Gaiman!!!

      Delete