Saturday, September 26, 2020

A Solitary Pursuit

 


Our topic at the SFF Seven this week is: How do you define Critique Partners, Alpha Readers, and Beta Readers? Actually, there have been some great definitions and examples offered by my fellow SFF7 colleagues in earlier posts of the week.

I don’t have definitions handy because I don’t use any of these.

I write the stories I want to read. The stories unspool the way I want them to go. I’m very possessive of my characters and the events. I can’t imagine a better way to stop my writing DED than to invite people to read it while a book is in progress. The tender little green shoots of the book would wither and die under the harsh sunlight of premature feedback. No one has ever been invited to read one of my WIPs as far as I can recall. Yes, I’m saying I want no feedback during the process of writing my books. I don’t ask for it, I don’t go looking for it…I wouldn’t use it if there was any…writing to me is a completely solitary, individual creative pursuit. Me, my characters and I.

And my Muse.

I pay for a developmental edit when the book is pretty much close to done. I may or may not take the suggestions from my editor but I appreciate receiving them. At that stage the book is finished in my own mind and I’m ready to have the professional feedback on any issues or places where the existing book could be made stronger.

Fortunately for me, there’s no one right way or wrong way to go about being an author. I say go for it to people who relish and/or need all that feedback as part of their process. It isn’t something I’d ever do but the world is big enough for all of us to do our own thing. The more books, the merrier, however they arrive!

Speaking of arriving, Pets In Space® 5 will be out on October 6th and is up for pre-order. My story this time is STAR CRUISE: RETURN VOYAGE.

PETS IN SPACE® 5 ANTHOLOGY BLURB:

It’s time for an escape! Pets in Space® 5 is back for the fifth amazing year! Escape to new worlds with twelve of today’s top Science Fiction Romance authors. They have written 12 original, never-before-released stories filled with action, adventure, suspense, humor, and romance that will take you out of this world. The giving doesn’t stop there. For the fifth year, Pets in Space® will be donating a portion of the first month proceeds to Hero-Dogs.org, a non-profit charity that supports our veterans and First Responders. If you are ready to forget the world around you and make a difference while you are having fun, grab your copy before it’s gone!

STAR CRUISE: RETURN VOYAGE (The Sectors SF Romance Series):

Gianna Nadenoft is a reclusive survivor of one of the worst interstellar cruise ship disasters in the history of the Sectors. Now a renowned artist, she hasn’t left her home planet in decades, not since returning there after the wreck as a traumatized three-year-old. With her service animal at her side, she’s going to attempt to travel across the star systems to attend her brother’s wedding and reunite with her fellow survivors.

Trevor Hanson is a security officer aboard the cruise liner Nebula Zephyr with his own traumatic past as a former Special Forces soldier and prisoner of war. He’s assigned to provide personal protection to Gianna during her time aboard the ship but soon finds his interest turning from professional to romantic.

Onboard the Nebula Zephyr, powerful enemies are watching Gianna and making plans to seize this rare opportunity to gain access to her and the secrets they believe she’s still keeping about the wreck. Can Trevor overcome his personal demons and rise to the occasion to save Gianna from the danger waiting on his ship, or will she slip through his fingers and suffer a terrible fate deferred from her last disastrous voyage?

BUY LINKS

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2BRiWxU

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pets-Space-5-SE-Smith-ebook/dp/B08F2XF73Q/

Amazon CA: https://www.amazon.ca/Pets-Space-5-SE-Smith-ebook/dp/B08F2XF73Q/

Amazon AU: https://www.amazon.com.au/Pets-Space-5-SE-Smith-ebook/dp/B08F2XF73Q/

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/pets-in-space-5

Apple Books: https://apple.co/30maDUg

Nook: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pets-in-space-5-s-e-smith/1137421518?ean=2940162669395

GooglePlay: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/SE_Smith_Pets_in_Space_5?id=AGH0DwAAQBAJ&hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment